never realized how important burping is to babies. in the first 2 weeks, we would feed him and put him down as soon as he was asleep. he would almost always spit up in his sleep, making a choking gurgling sound that would wake me up with a start, to rush over and make sure he wasn't choking to death. can be very scary but then we also found out that babies rarely die from spit up. they instinctively turn to the side so whatever they spit up drains properly. God gives babies some wonderful instincts to make up for our lack of knowledge.we found out that you have to keep them upright for 20-40 minutes after they eat to prevent spit up. i thought that babies had nice strong, brand new stomach and esophagus muscles. what do you mean they need to be upright for 30 minutes after ever single feeding?
so you feed for 20 minutes, burp for 30 minutes, 5 minutes for diaper change... and one hour has gone by. at least once a day they also get hiccups after eating so that extends the time you spend burping/keeping them upright. if you are lucky, they sleep for an hour or two, then they are hungry again and you repeat 3 steps above. all day, that is all you do for the first 2 months. at least he is sleeping 3-5 hours at a time now. makes night times a little easier.
this is our favorite look on his face - when he is being burped and looking up and around. so cute. look at those little bulldog cheeks! there is william... already poking fun of thomas.
1 comment:
life with the baby is beautiful. catherine is a beautiful mother. seeing her care for thomas and the patience she has (compared to me) makes her even more beautiful! i'm so lucky to have someone like her. (Thanks to God).
Yes very cheesy comments but I stand behind it and I'm not even in an alcohol buzz...
and my theme song is jack johnson's "better together" from his album "In Between Dreams". Except add in little Thomas somewhere in there...
There's no combination of words
I could put on the back of a postcard
No song I could sing
But I can try for your heart
Our dreams, and they are made out of real things
Like a, shoebox of photographs
With sepiatone loving
Love is the answer,
At least for most of the questions in my heart
Like why are we here? and where do we go?
And how come it's so hard?
It's not always easy and
Sometimes life can be deceiving
I'll tell you one thing its always better when we're together
[Chorus:]
MMM its always better when we're together
Yeah, look at the stars when we're together
Well, it's always better when we're together
Yeah, it's always better when we're together
And all of these moments
Just might find their way into my dreams tonight
But I know that they'll be gone
When the morning light sings
And brings new things
For tomorrow night you see
That they'll be gone too
Too many things I have to do
But if all of these dreams might find their way
Into my day to day scene
I'd be under the impression
I was somewhere in between
With only two
Just me and you
Not so many things we got to do
Or places we got to be
We'll Sit beneath the mango tree now
Its always better when we're together
Mmmm, we're somewhere in between together
Well, it's always better when we're together
Yeah, it's always better when we're together
MMmmmm MMMmmmm Mmmmmm
I believe in memories
They look so, so pretty when I sleep
Hey now, and when I wake up,
You look so pretty sleeping next to me
But there is not enough time,
And there is no song I could sing
And there is no, combination of words I could say
But I will still tell you one thing
We're Better together.
Post a Comment